April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month. Crisis Intervention Services has several events throughout the month you can be involved in.
- Wednesday, April 5th 1-7pm at Willowbrook Mall: Come help build a wall of support brick-by-brick for survivors of abuse at Writing on the Wall. Survivors and their supporters are encouraged to design a teal brick with either a message they feel must be heard about abuse or a message of encouragement to survivors. The wall will then be displayed in the community to help spread awareness about sexual abuse. Volunteers are needed to help with this event – there will be two shifts lasting 3.5 hours each.
- Tuesday, April 11th – All Day: Everyone is invited to #GoTeal with Crisis Intervention Service. Wearing the color teal intended to spread awareness about the impact of sexual assault and to create awareness on the prevention of sexual assault.
- Thursday, April 13th 11am – 1pm: The Writing on the Wall display created at the April 5th event will be on display at NIACC over the lunch hour, to help spread awareness about sexual abuse. A couple volunteers are needed to attend to the display and represent Crisis Intervention Services on site.
- Wednesday, April 19th – 1-9pm: The Clothesline Project will be on display at the Willowbrook Mall starting at 1pm, then the Take Back the Night walk will begin at 7:30pm. Volunteers are needed to help with this event – there will be two shifts lasting 3.5 hours each for the Clothesline project, then volunteers are needed to assist with the walk.
- Wednesday, April 26th – All Day: Denim Day for Crisis Intervention Services. A couple volunteers are needed to distribute denim pins to CAO, police station, etc on the Monday and Tuesday prior to the Denim Day.
- Thursday, April 27th 11am – 1pm: Crisis Intervention will have a Sexual Assault Month awareness booth at NIACC. Volunteers are needed to help with this event – there will be one shift lasting 2 hours.
Share your photos with the Crisis Intervention Facebook page throughout the month – be sure to include the hashtag #GoTeal.
If you’re interested in volunteering, contact Lori Lori Elbermawy, Volunteer Coordinator for Crisis Intervention Service at: 641-423-0490 or Lori@cishelps.org.
Learn more about the services available through Crisis Intervention Services and how you can get involved at: http://www.cishelps.org. Learn about national Sexual Assault Awareness efforts at: http://www.nsvrc.org/saam/sexual-assault-awareness-month.